Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday madness

So my poor, darling BlackBerry is broken. It has gone into hospital for emergency surgery after I lost all control of the buttons and it proceeded to dial my boyfriend over and over on its own. When I finally managed to stop it (and explain to him that I'm not THAT desperate to talk to him), it wouldn't stop pressing the 'a' button. My mother thought I was going mad when she received a text message filled with a's followed by four drop calls and another blank text as the cherry on the cake. Eventually I pulled out the battery and drove down to Vodacom in a complete rage, where I sat in a queue for 45 minutes in a room with no aircon in Cape Town's 40-degree heat. When I got to the front, the wonderfully polite, chirpy and exceedingly helpful (not) sales lady brutally stamped a page and told me – with absolutely no compassion, empathy or sympathy – that it would take two weeks to send up to Joburg to be fixed and that I would be BB-less. I was so dehydrated and frustrated from waiting in the queue I didn't even have the energy to argue. So I signed and left.

I didn't quite realise just how distressing this was going to be. On top of losing ALL my data (numbers, music, photos, BBM contacts etc) I also can't read my emails when not at my desk, pop onto Facebook, Twitter, or the internet. I feeling very unhappy. Especially since, as a replacement, Vodacom (ever so kindly) let me borrow a prehistoric walkie-talkie-like brick dating back to World War II, which keeps emitting a piercing cacophony at regular intervals and I'm not quite sure why. The screen is so small and dark I have to wear reading glasses and shine a torch just to decipher my texts. And it took me 20 minutes to find the 'Messages' folder and figure out how to put it on keylock. At this rate, I'd rather not have a phone at all. Anyway am feeling very disconnected and sincerely disappointed in BlackBerry considering this is the second time this has happened. Not a great start to my week.

On a lighter note, I am going to French Toast tonight - the new wine and tapas bar on Bree Street. Have heard only good things so am looking forward to trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment