Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What's hot? Cape Town. Literally.

So all my awesome activities this week have been cancelled as a result of this excruciating heatwave. 

Such activities included running on the promenade (er, death by dehydration), climbing Lion's Head (I believe I'd melt halfway up) and staying at my gorgeous flat on the sea. The latter is made impossible by the fact that I have a freakishly small, stifling bedroom. No matter how wide I open the balcony door, a breeze refuses to flow through my humble abode, and my fan is so small it wouldn't even blow over a praying mantis. So when my boyfriend and I stay at mine in weather like this, it equals one times sweaty, baking evening of no sleep and we leave for work the next day angry with the weather, angry with each other, and 5kgs lighter than the night before. Even my gym sessions must be kept short and sweet (if I stay too long I start to see spots). I cannot blowdry my hair (I have to get back into the shower after!) so am sporting the natural frizzy look. I also struggle to drink tea (the idea that 'it cools you down' is a total myth) or cook – standing over a stove really aggravates my sweat glands. 

Have resorted to spending evenings in front of the tele in boyfriend's flat which has fans left, right and centre and a strong breeze wafting through. So this is a week for takeouts and relaxing. What are you doing?

This week's meals out: Dad is still here so hoping to take him to some good spots. The new Basilicos is on the cards for dinner, and 95 Keerom, which neither of us have been to yet! but am always game for my faves: Haiku or Bukhara. Otherwise I'm keen to try out The Test Kitchen, Luke Dale Roberts' new venture (the chef of La Colombe), which is in Woodstock.

There are some great summer specials on in Cape Town. Try this link: http://foodblog.cape-town.info/restaurants/posts/spring-summer-capetown-restaurant-specials-87.php

No comments:

Post a Comment