Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Things that go bump in the night

So I've had a sort of writer's block recently. (A blogger's block?) It's just been your average week – in other words, nothing remotely interesting/funny/emotional/insightful has happened. Lovely boyfriend arrived home on Sunday so I have been super glued to his hip to say the least. I thought I'd allow myself 4 days of this behaviour before I must resort to being your standard girlfriend. 

Something very funny happened on Sunday night that has kept me in the highest of spirits and giggling to myself all week. My man has just moved flats. This was fantastic for me because I got to be typically female/motherlike and help him unpack, do up the house and suggest where things should go and what he should be buying etc. I would get to wear the pants for a few days. Or so I thought. I soon realised that he is just as meticulous as me and likes things done very much his own way. To the extent that he even rearranged his books in the bookcase after I had carefully placed them onto the shelves. After this I gave up to watch TV. But he didn't ask me to help again. We came to an unspoken agreement.

Anyway, the thing about your first night in a new flat is that you don't really have your bearings yet. You can misjudge a step, or the positioning of a table, or the location of a light switch. In addition to this my boyfriend had the misfortune of being jet lagged and grossly fatigued. In the middle of night, he popped to the toilet. I faintly heard him returning but did not move from my comatosed fetal position. Complete exhaustion compelled him to flop down on to his bed. Unfortunately, a combination of the dark and feeling disjointed and spaced out meant that he totally missed the bed. Next thing I heard was a hard THWACK as he landed face down on the carpet, just a few centimetres from the bed!

Silence.

I sat up. Instantly awake. I blinked. Oh my god. Was I allowed to laugh? 

'Er, are you okay?' 
'Uuurgh bluskaisilhrjebjs' ... Incoherent noises, spluttering. 'Hummmpph.'

With that he got up and got into bed.

Silence.

Then suddenly, a small laugh erupted from his chest. I believed this was my cue. And so I started laughing. But then as quickly as it had started, it stopped. And then silence. And we were asleep again.

Having been in such a listless haze myself, I completely forgot about the incident until lunch time then next day when I unexpectedly burst into fits of hysterics in the middle of the office from the image of him at one with the carpet. And I proceeded to ring his sister and relay the whole story. 

Needless to say, he seemed somewhat peeved (or just embarrassed?) when I brought it up that evening, and he deliberately and hastily sidestepped the conversation. Before I knew it he had asked me to help him hang pictures.

Anyway - that was the highlight of my week. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment