Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

You never know what might happen... (and an ode to a top dog)

At last. Lovely lovely fantastic Friday! And I am finally off to Breede River for a much-needed (and well deserved) two-day hiatus. 

It's only one weekend but naturally, being an overly organised and very efficient young woman, I've packed everything I own so that I'm fully prepared for anything the weekend might throw at us. There could be a fierce blizzard on the first night with temperatures dropping below minus (despite reports that it's going to be unbearably hot this weekend); the house could be blown down in gale-force winds and we'd have to pitch a tent and bath in the river and make a mattress out of clothes (I certainly don't have a shortage of those); my toiletry bag could fly out the car window on the way there and I'd need a back-up. There could be mosquitos. There could be bears. There could be a sasquatch. I might burn myself on the braai, cut myself on a beer bottle; the Queen (on a spontaneous minibreak) might arrive for a braai and I'll need a dress; a neighbour might decide to throw a themed cocktail party; and it's always nice to have a change of bikini!

You just never know.

Anyway, am all packed... Hope there's space for everyone else's bags in the car....

Unfortunately I am feeling uninspired and a bit low today today after my darling dog, Mutley, was put down this morning. So I leave you with this poem...

Have you a dog in Heaven, Lord?
And do you pat its head?
Does he sit up and beg each night
before he goes to bed?

Does he look up with shining eyes
when he sees Your smilling face?
Does he wag his stubby little tail
when he wants to run a race?

Have You a dog in Heaven, Lord?
Is there room for just one more?
Cause my little dog died today;
he'll be waiting at Your door.

Please take him into Heaven, Lord.
And keep him there for me,
just feed him, pet him,l ove him, Lord,
thats all he'll ask of Thee.




No comments:

Post a Comment