Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Have a Jolly Olly Christmas...


Tomorrow eve shall be decorating Vivi&Lola's Christmas Tree. Finally can release my Christmas spirit, which has been bursting to come out for over a month now. Unfortunately, mother has instilled in me since childhood a perfectionist paranoia about Christmas-tree decorating. From a young age I would sit cross-legged on the floor, with a cup of apple juice, pigtails in hair, and watch in awe as she would asssemble our breath-takingly beautiful tree. She is a Virgo, of course, and picks a perfectly manicured tree and decorates to meticulous perfection. Each year she picks a colour theme. Usually silvers and golds. She puts some cotton stuff over the lights, which makes them look misty and mysterious, sprays the tree with snow and has gorgeous glittery stars and silver baubles...

I was not allowed to touch the tree. And as the years wore on and my apple juice turned to glasses of sherry, my pigtails to flat-ironed locks, she would let me help with the lights. Then the next year one or two baubles. Naturally, she would reposition or move whatever it was I so carefully placed where I believed it looked suitable. As a result I lost confidence in my ability to decorate a tree as beautifully as my mother. At the same time, I long to have my own house, my own tree – my own perfect tree that my own husband and kids dogs and friends will look up at in amazement... inspired. And, just like her, no one will be allowed to touch anything. My very own Christmas masterpiece.

Anyway, I may not have as gorgeous decorations as hers, which she buys more of from London each year, but I am looking forward to trying my creative right hand tomorrow night. Or whichever hand is free from holding the mulled wine.

Unfortunately, there will be boys present tomorrow. Males have about as much sense of decoration as a tea towel so I'm thinking of handing them a beer and a bowl of nuts and putting them in charge of sweeping up excess pine needles.

Beanie (my new landlord) is coming over tonight. He told me to make a list of 'the few things' I might need for the house. Thinking of sporting hotpants and heels and asking for a flatscreen. And maybe a push-up bra for DSTV? Also have loads of bubbly in the flat leftover from my birthday, so will pour him a flute just as I suggest blackout curtains, a tumbledryer and a fresh coat of paint.

Perhaps I should buy Beanie a Cap or Head Scarf for summer?

I leave you with photos from last year's Christmas at the Jolly Olive humble abode...









No comments:

Post a Comment