Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sunday Spectacular


So after a day out in Franschhoek, sporting a scarlet beret, clutching a bottle of Graham Beck Brut Rose in a flourescent orange ice bag, and attractively licking the blue and red icing off Bastille Day cupcakes – all very European chic of me – I woke up feeling a little worse for wear on Sunday morning. Having raced back from the festival at 6pm on Saturday evening (and devouring a wheel of camembert with my friend in an attempt to sober ourselves up) to see The Nutcracker, I awoke with images of Russian dancers, sugar plum fairies and rat kings still dancing through my head. Lost in a world of Tchaikovsky, I put on my ballet shoes and went to brush my teeth on pointe. As you do.

I decided I would not let some lame and actually rather mild hangover ruin my day so I grabbed my Sunday freezocino and hit the Waterfront for some 'me' time... aka 'retail therapy'. I'm coveting all the new collections in Mango, Forever New and Country Road right now. Two hours later I realised I was running late for a brunch out at Tashas in Constantia, so I changed into my new clothes in the Trenery changing rooms (classy, very classy) and hit the road, shopping bags in tow, feeling more than pleased with my Sunday purchases, but worrying how I was going to swing lunch on an empty bank account.

Tashas is still my favourite place at the moment – since I reviewed it, all I think about is going back to demolish that mind-blowing tower of a bacon rosti (best thing on the menu). After I did that – while my guy mates glared in awe at the human hoover before them – we decided it was sunny and beautiful and that it would be a sin to waste it indoors. We headed over to Bistro Sixteen82, bagged a couch by the pond and proceeded to plough through bottles of wine for the rest of the afternoon while admiring the beautiful Steenberg scenery and the sober families enjoying their sunday lunch. As the sun began to go down we headed back to civilisation, bought a few monsterous bags of Sweet and Salty popcorn (thank you Woolies) and decayed on the couch watching Game of Thrones (the best series in the world) untill 'someone' decided they wanted to switch over to Carte Blanche. At this stage I realised how worn out I was and went home to stew in a bath.

Anyway - suffice it to say that was one of the best sundays I have had in a very long time. Spontaneous, happy and fun. For once I didn't worry about anything or anyone.

In trying to remain healthy and get fit for the Constantia trail run, my schedule is teeming with vegetables and gym sessions. Unfortunately it's also overflowing with dinners and reviews and shows. At this rate any trail run is going to be an epic fail run unless I get my act together.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment