Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

E-mare



I arrived in Breede River over the holidays bookless, having just finished my 5th novel. I started to get in a state at the thought of having nothing to read for 5 days (am a confessed literary nerd). This was until a fellow Breede-rer offered me his Deon Meyer book – 'Thirteen Hours'. I instantly turned my nose up at it because it was a.) by a South African author, b.) based in Cape Town, and c.) a crime novel. There were small water insects that had more appeal to me. But by day 2, with nothing to read, I had had enough of derailing ants and squinting to pretend I'd spotted a rare bird, while everyone had their nose stuck in a book. Jealousy made me nasty. I told everyone they were boring and I picked up Deon's offering and began.

Oh. My. Sack.

Safe to say I became the most introverted person on the trip and two days later I'd finished the South African author's masterpiece. It was possibly one of the most exciting things I've ever read. I even skipped a meal. And a glass of bubbly, lest it muffled my focus. I was a sorry sight.

Arriving back at work last week I decided to call in Deon Meyer's new book 'Tracker' (it bodes well for me that I'm a books editor and can get whatever book I was at the snap of a finger), and to email the man himself about a possible interview for my magazine. I began my email...


Dear Mr Meyer


I am a huge fan of your books bla bla bla bla bla


Three days later, a reply


Dear Miss Olive


It's so wonderful to know you're such a fan. I would be honoured to answer some questions for you... bla bla bla bla


I then scrolled down to re-read my original email, which is when I noticed a cringe spelling mistake. Instead of writing 'Dear Mr Meyer', I had actually written 'Dear My Meyer'.

Er.

Shit.

Being a Copy Editor, this does not reflect well on my proof-reading abilities. I replied.


Dear Mr Meyer


I am so so sorry about my spelling mistake in my first email! That is so embarrassing! Below are my interview questions bla bla bla bla


A week later I get an email back with answers to all my questions. The email began with...


Dear (My) Jessica


I merely replied:


Touché... Touché.


No comments:

Post a Comment